Learn More About Spinning Rods
Field & Stream carries a vast assortment of spinning rods from premier brands like Shimano®, Quantum®, Daiwa®, St. Croix®, Abu Garcia®, and many more.
Featuring the reel guides on the bottom, spinning rods allow for smooth, accurate casts while helping to reduce the risk of tangling. We offer a great selection of freshwater and saltwater spinning rods. Choose exactly what you need for your skill level, target species and water conditions. You’ll find:
- 2-piece designs built for long-distance casting
- Telescoping designs and other travel-friendly models made for easy transport
- Models built for specific species, including steelhead, salmon, trout, and catfish
Choose the right spinning rod by taking a closer look at its components:
- Handle: Most spinning rods come with either a cork handle or EVA foam handle. Cork is a traditional favorite, while EVA foam offers exceptional comfort and stain resistance.
- Construction: With its solid strength and maintenance-free design, fiberglass is a great option for all anglers—especially beginners. Graphite is a strong, lightweight option providing a blend of optimal sensitivity and fighting power.
- Line Guides: Typically, more guides equals better quality. Many anglers regard ceramic as the most durable and dependable line guide material.
- Reel Seats: Look for corrosion-resistant reel seats with hoods.
- Action: Fast-action rods are great for jig fishing, while medium-fast actions are ideal for casting topwater lures and spinnerbaits. The smaller the fish, the lighter the action you need and vice versa.
- Power: “Power” is a rod’s resistance to flexing. You’ll want to choose a line-test within the limits recommended for your rod; a heavy-power rod can snap light line while a heavy line can snap a light rod.
If you’re looking for a challenge, consider an ultralight rod to get more fight out of larger game fish.
Remember, power ratings vary according to the type of rod you need—a “heavy” bass rod will feel different from a “heavy” offshore rod.